Saturday, February 2, 2013

Humanizing and Compassion.


The Realization That Made Me Create A Blog.

In regards to what I'm "going into" as a career, I often think to myself, "I'm in the business of humanizing." I took that language from anti-war readings, where the basis of combat is in "dehumanizing the enemy" and thus taking away their human dignity. I realized a few months ago that this "dehumanizing" problem is my problem with virtually all of the social issues I care about. Gay rights. Religious understanding. Israel/Palestine. Women's issues. Labor rights. Etc.

Well today, while reading Marcus Borg's book "Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time", I realized there's something else at the root of my desire to "humanize": I want to encourage compassion as a political virtue. 

This blog will be my thoughts on, well, the Politics of Compassion. This is a term which, honestly, is too complex for me to fully understand at this point in my studies and life. But I'm hoping through my own posts and your comments, we'll be able to discuss an array of topics all encompassed by the ideas of how we can come to a place in our world where we view all individuals with equal human dignity. An equal human dignity that can come out of a political emphasis on compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment